16.6.11

The Perfect Vinaigrette

Season Salad

For a long time in Norway the standard dressing given to you is Thousand Island. A pink goup that tastes of nothing. Usually over a salad made of chinese cabbage, cucumber, red capsicum and sweetcorn. You'll still get it in certain establishments. And both Brother and Dad are partial to it.

But the dressing that I always turn to is the vinaigrette. It's variable, it's quick, it's fresh, and so easy.

The basics are simple. You need sour, spicy, sweet and oil. Sour can be a citrus juice or any kind of vinegar. The spicy can be mustard, wasabi or pepper root. Sweet can be in the vinegar (like balsamic) or honey, sugar, maple syrup or any other sweetness you prefer. Salt, pepper, herbs, garlic, shallots -you name it- can be added for flavour.

If I'm dressing the whole salad I usually just make this in the bottom of my bowl before I add the salad. If I'm not sure that everyone wants dressing I just shake it together in an old jam jar.

For a traditional vinaigrette for four:

1 teaspoon mustard (I use Dijon)
The juice of 1 lemon
1 teaspoon honey
Good oil (I use extra virgin olive) to taste
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper

Pop all the ingredients in a jar and shake. The mustard acts as an emulsifier and thickens it. If you make it on the bottom of the bowl whisk the oil into the other ingredients in a thin stream.

I like my dressing on the tarter side, and so I don't use that much oil. You can also replace some of the oil with water.

2 comments:

Feed my comments. They're hungry.